OPCC works to end homelessness and human suffering—not simply manage it. To that end, OPCC does everything possible to assist our clients to increase their incomes in order to become as self-sufficient as possible.
Since many OPCC clients have medical or physical disabilities, agency staff begins working with clients from the first point of engagement to assist them in applying for any benefits to which they are entitled. These benefits are crucial to their ability to pay their rent as they obtain housing.
Avenues for income include:
- Benefits assistance and information
- OPCC’s Stipend Program, offering clients an opportunity to assume a meaningful work role within OPCC, in exchange for a monthly stipend. Gardening, preparing meals, operating the “Clothes Closet”, assisting with clients’ move-in are some of the opportunities within the Stipend Program. The program has been linked with increased self-esteem, feelings of being needed by a larger community, decreased substance abuse, and greater social interaction.
- Job training and skill-building opportunities with Chrysalis
- Daybreak Designs, a creative goods microbusiness run by Daybreak clients. Proceeds from sales go to the clients and to fund operating expenses.
- Enrolling in classes at local colleges
- Money Management workshops and groups
- One-on-one financial planning with a case manager
→ CONNECT with OPCC